Page Header

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Father's Day Card Ideas

Last year in my search for great greeting card ideas for Father's day was dissapointing. I've seen so many versions of neck ties. They were all very nice but not all dads fall into the traditional role. We also have father's that don't wear neck ties to work. There are firemen, police officers, chefs, artists, musicians, etc. How about priests, they are father's right? Well maybe it's just me I wanted to see something and say ,"Now that's very clever! Or that fits my dad." I have sold so many Father's Day greeting cards because I think outside of the box. Most of the time I don't have enough time to even take a picture before they are sold. Why? Because not all father's fall into the same traditional category of business man, fisherman, or handy man. So why do so many handmade greeting cards have these themes?

I created a few of what I call my traditional generic cards below but I'm hoping you will be inspired to think outside of the box. However, I'm hoping my readers will be "Thinking Outside of the Box" and create inspiring greeting cards. I'll give you a hint on some great ideas check out the Close to My Heart stamps Born to Ride, and Super Hero. Check out the blog Paper Pad and Pictures dated May 8th and May 26th. There are some really great ideas, and I created one on Cindy's blog featuring a Super Hero.

The challenge I find in creating unique greating cards is finding the right stamps. Close to My Heart always has great products to choose from and I will continue to post more pictures for you to see this week.
I made the above card using a clear acrylic card sold through Close to My Heart. I used the Pemberly paper packet to cut out the strips of brown and denim blue for the front cover. I also glued the same color strips for the back of the front cover. Using the natural color Baker's Twine to add a more masculine touch to the front. The tag was cut using the Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge, and stamped the greeting that can be found on Tag the Occasion Stamp (B1362). For the inside of the greeting card I used the Pemberly patterned paper (B&T) and rounded it's corners. On the back of the card I rounded the corners of a Colonial White cardstock and then adhered it. To adhere all pieces in place use Liquid Glass! This card fits a standard A2 envelope.


This second card was a bit of a challenge. I tried to use a non-Close to My Heart stamp that I purchased at JoAnns. Like I said, I searched for stamps early this year and I was able to find a dollar acrylic stamp. I can honestly say that I will no longer do so since the quality was lacking. The stamped image is not crisp or clear as you can see in this photograh. I still used it and treated it as a vintage shabby look. All other products I used were from Close to My Heart. I used Outdoor Denim to stamp all images, sponged the corners of the card to coordinate all pieces. I also used cocoa cardstock to mat the stamped image and for a color block. Pemberly is again one of my favorite masculine papers and on the opposite is floral so it can be girly too:) I stamped the tags using Vintage Type stamp (D1481) and of course using the Art Philosophy to cut out those adorable tags in 2 1/2 inch size. Dont' forget copper brads, cocoa ribbon, and baker's twine.

I will post a few more pictures this week. In the meantime, Happy Crafting and Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment